The Macquarie Park Innovation District is growing at a fantastic rate.
Phase 1 marks the start of the innovation events program using existing and upgraded venues across the park. Associated with the program will be a membership launch to grow member companies to 50 within 12 months. The Lighthouse Incubator will also be opened in 2016 – with a permanent 2000m2 facility slated for completion in 2018 – and pop-up and collision spaces, as well as wi-fi interconnectivity, will be established. A driverless shuttle bus service – to aid physical connections – is being investigated.
Key details of Phase 1:
- launch of the Lighthouse Incubator and concurrent development of permanent incubation space
- development of collision and multi-use events space
- upgrade of café outlets to become SMART event venues that provide collision spaces and a home for smaller events
- commencement of a shuttle bus service to join both ends of the park
- hosting of weekly events, as well as hackathons and innovation, arts and community engagement events
- development of partnerships with international innovation districts to drive international collaboration
- launch of intrapreneur and entrepreneur programs, including international exchange.
Phase 2 – due for completion in 2018
Expands on Phase 1 with the addition of deep-tech incubation facilities for medical and life science-related research. Additional events, SMART café and collision spaces will serve existing businesses and new residential expansion. The events program will further grow.
Phase 3 – to be completed in 2022
Will see the addition of two major infrastructure projects: the central University campus hub and the business hub development as part of a new town centre precinct. The campus hub will house event and engagement space, as well as a dedicated student digital incubation hub. The proposed business hub opposite the Macquarie Centre will provide internal and external spaces for business and commerce-related engagement and incubation.